Saturday 23 February 2008

Open all hours

MPs' working hours

Sir - I recently wrote to my MP about the Government's plans for GPs' extended hours. I was dissatisfied with her response.

I contacted her secretary to make an appointment and was told that her next available surgery appointment was six weeks away. I was even more surprised to learn that she does not offer appointments in the evening or at weekends. I was told she sees constituents between 3pm and 4.30pm on a Friday once a month, take it or leave it.

I had heard that MPs had abandoned evening and weekend parliamentary sittings for more family-friendly hours. However, I was taken aback by how unfriendly their hours are to working constituents. It would appear that the Government does not practise what it preaches.

Dr Steven Nimmo, Plymstock, Devon

No comments: