Tuesday 12 June 2007

New jobs for old lags

Come August 1st, who will be doing the work in our hospitals? Faced with the mess which is MMC and MTAS some of our best and brightest doctors are busy applying for jobs abroad; others are planning to give up medicine and go and work in the City. I know of one who is thinking of auditioning for the next series of "The Apprentice".

So how will we be filling the gaps? The answer might be found in a recent edition of Nursing Standard reported in The Times. Apparently prisoners in Wandsworth prison are forming part of a pilot project to train them to enable them give medical advice.

I am all in favour of teaching prisoners life skills, but when I'm ill, I think that I would prefer to be looked after by a real doctor; unfortunately, after next month I may be struggling to find one.

No comments: